In 1285, Alcúdia was already an independent parish. The primitive parish Church ofSant Jaume dates back to the times of James II when in 1302, he bought the lands for its construction, but not until well into the 14th century was it possible to worship in its interior. This first church was formed of one single nave consisting of 8 pointed arches. Worthy of note were several altars attached to the side walls, as well as the high altar. In 1870, the precarious state of the church and heavy rains caused it to collapse, with only the bell tower, the Chapel of Sant Crist and the sacristy remaining intact. The townsfolk managed to save the altars and the figures of the saints and the relics.
Work on the construction of a new church began in 1882, thanks to the support of the rector, Mossèn Joan Ferragut, and of the municipal council. The project was overseen by Miguel Pavía, although Bartomeu Ferrà also played a part in its reconstruction.
In 1893, the new church was finished in neo-Gothic style, following historicist criteria that were prevalent at the time of its construction.
The building has one single nave covered by a ribbed vault. The layout is in the shape of an inverted“L” owing to the profundity of the Chapel of Sant Crist. Beneath the vaulting there are 13 large windows that represent the different allegories in the Name of Maria and the Ten Commandments.